Dear RUHS Families:
Welcome back! School will begin in a few days (August 17th), so we ask that you enjoy the remaining days of summer and of course start preparing for an excellent school year. Please begin by reviewing our website, coordinating your morning/afternoon schedule (see the new bell schedule), and watching this video, highlighting Sea Hawk expectations. Stay connected within our RUHS learning community through the Parent Square app which can be downloaded onto your smartphone. Sea Hawk families, we want all of our Sea Hawks to thrive and individually succeed in their academic growth and social emotional development. Here are ways that we can assist our Sea Hawks to keep on PACE to SOAR!
- Self Advocate - If concerns arise during the school year, have them reach out to the proper adult on campus for support. Our counselors, teachers, and staff are here to always help navigate a difficult situation. Please click to see our RUHS communication protocol
- Have A Growth Mindset - Having a growth mindset versus a fixed mindset is so important at any age. Failing is a part of growing and maturity. Help them be resilient when they experience disappointment and failure. We will continue to message this to our students regularly
- Take Risks - Try out for sports teams, join new clubs, get involved in new experiences. These are ways they can find their passion. We provide various opportunities to be part of our Sea Hawk community outside of the classroom
- Take Initiative - Read our emails/communications, participate in school and district events, attend parent teacher conferences, etc. We strive to have open lines of communication and transparency with our families and students
- Know Your RUHS Counselor and RUHS Student Resources – Please click the link for the RUHS counselor webpage
Keep reading for pertinent information to have a successful first month of school!
RUHS Week at a Glance:
Monday, 8/15 - No School, Summer Break Continues
Tuesday, 8/16 - No School, Summer Break Continues
Wednesday, 8/17 – School Begins
- A few reminders for the first day:
- All students will need to pick up their class schedule in the Redondo Union Small Gym (doors open at 7:30 AM)
- Bring your school ID to receive your schedule (thank you in advance)
- Receiving your new schedule is mandatory, schedules given out at registration did not include rooms or periods
- Your new schedule is your ticket in the door to all of your classes
- O Period will not be meeting on this day. Please click here to review the daily bell schedule calendar
- You can also click here for additional RUHS bell schedule information
- 9:15 – 9:25 Passing Period
- 9:25 Period 1 Begins
Thursday, 8/18 - Periods 0/2/4/6/ Regular Block, 8:30 Start / 3:30 Dismissal
Friday, 8/19 - Periods 0/1/3/5 Regular Block, 8:30 Start / 3:30 Dismissal
Important School News, Resources, & Announcements:
- RUHS Parent Student Handbook: This can always be found on our RUHS website. When in doubt about Dress Code, Attendance, Behavior/Citizenship Rubric, Electronic Devices and all other related RUHS expectations/protocols, please review on our website
- Final Schedules & Schedule Changes: While we do our best to ensure functional and accurate schedules for all students, we are human and mistakes are inevitable. Your student received a draft copy of their schedule at registration and will receive a final copy on the first day of school in the small gym, before the start of Period 1
- Drop-off/Pick-up: Please follow all traffic laws when dropping-off and picking-up students. This includes stopping at stop signs, not double-parking or parking in red zones, not parking in handicap-labeled spaces unless permitted to do so, and not making illegal U-turns. Please help us by not parking in spots marked for staff. Additionally, students must only cross the street in crosswalks. Please click here for drop off and pick up zones around RUHS. Also please click here for information regarding Beach Cities Transit. Thank you for helping to keep ALL of our students safe!
- Bike Safety: We welcome students to ride their bike or scooter to school! However, they must wear a helmet and abide by all traffic laws. This is not just a school rule, it is the law. Also, they cannot ride on campus, just to and from campus. Once they arrive on the sidewalks outside of school, bikes and scooters must be walked. Finally, they need to bring a proper lock to secure their bike, etc. in the designated bicycle parking areas on the RUHS campus
- Technology Support: Our RBUSD IT Department has set up a website of resources to help students and families with any tech related issues. Please visit for tech support. - https://sites.google.com/a/rbusd.org/rbusd/
- RBUSD Child Nutrition Updates: Beginning in the 2022–23 school year, Child Nutrition Services will be participating in California’s Universal Meals Program. The new State Meal Mandate requires public school districts serving students in grades TK–12 to offer two meals free of charge (breakfast and lunch) during each school day to students requesting a meal, regardless of their free or reduced-price meal eligibility. This state meal mandate only applies when students are on campus during in-person learning. Breakfast will continue to be available before school and during the students’ break time. In order to move the lines as quickly as possible, we are asking that you please encourage your students to bring their student IDs with them to scan at the cashier when receiving meals inside the cafeteria or purchasing snack items outside at the snack windows. Even though meals are free for students, the CDE is still requiring that we collect meal applications. We are encouraging families to fill out meal applications for LCFF funding and additional benefits for the household (Pandemic EBT funds, exam and application fee waivers and other discounted costs). Please click here to fill out an application
- COVID 19 Protocols: Please see our superintendent’s latest message on COVID protocols within RBUSD. You may view the message via Parent Square.
July 22, 2022
Sea Hawk Families,
I hope your summer has been filled with safe spontaneous fun, and of course, lasting memories. Please see the dates below for our upcoming RUHS events. In addition, please click this link to view the 2022-2023 RUHS Bell Schedule. Please mark your calendars and make the necessary plans to include the shift of our later start this school year.
There are many more days of summer to enjoy, however we look forward to seeing all of you very soon!
GO SEA HAWKS!
Redondo Union High School
12th Grade: Wednesday, August 3rd, 8:30 am-12:30 pm
11th Grade: Thursday, August 4th, 8:30 am-12:30 pm
10th Grade: Friday, August 5th, 8:30 am-12:30 pm
9th Grade: Tuesday, August 9th, 8:30 am-12:30 pm
** Make-ups (all grades): Wednesday, August 10th, 8:30 am- 12:30 pm
New Student / Freshmen Orientation: Thursday, August 11th, 9:00 am-12:00 pm
First Student Day: Wednesday, August 17th
More information can be found here.
Redondo Union HS
One Sea Hawk Way
Redondo Beach, CA 90277
(310) 798-8665 x 4001