Welcome to the attendance page. We have designed our attendance policies to be in alignment with the California
Redondo Union High School recognizes the importance of communication when dealing with attendance policies. Parents, if your student is absent, please contact the Attendance Office at (310) 798-8665 x4018 or 4027 on the day of the absence. You may also use the Absence Reporting Form from our website.
California Education code states that a student may be excused from school for the following reasons only: illness/medical or dental appointment (Documentation needed from Dr.’s office is required to excuse an absence), bereavement, religion, or court appearance. Please note that teachers are not required to give make-up work for unexcused absences.
Partial Day Absences
Students who miss one or more classes for a pre-arranged appointment should notify the attendance office before the class or classes that will be missed. Contact the attendance office in the same way you would for a full day absence and provide the reason for the absence. A valid appointment note is needed to clear the partial day absence.
Hybrid Learning Model
Attendance will be taken daily at the start of the beginning of each instructional period.
100% Online Learning Model
Attendance taken once daily and student usage of the digital program will be monitored.
Truancy or Excessive Absences
Truancy is defined as “students who are found off campus or out of bounds during class or break time without a valid excuse.” Truant students may be cited by the Redondo Beach Police Department. Students with unexcused absences or 4 or more tardies to class may not be eligible to participate in extracurricular activities. Additionally, excessive truancies or absences will be referred to the School Attendance Review Board (SARB).
It is important that all absences are cleared within five (5) school days. Absences that are not cleared will become a CUT (truant). Students are encouraged to email teachers prior to returning to receive missed assignments for absences.
Please contact Marina Capanni (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Karla Curiel (email@example.com ) if your student will miss five or more days due to serious illness, hospitalization, injury, or any other personal reason.
Attendance & Citizenship
Attendance & Citizenship
Disclaimer: This is a summary of the information found in our Student Handbook.
For complete information for any of these topics, please refer to the RUHS Student Handbook.
Be Present; Be On Time; Clear Your Absences
- Consistent attendance creates better learning for all students. The classroom is a community, and student participation strengthens that community.
- Excellent attendance will be recognized this year. Gift cards and drawings will occur throughout the year to celebrate students who are always here and on time.
- Students will 3 or more unexcused absences will be referred to SART.
- Student absences must be cleared within 5 days.
- After the fifth day, uncleared absences are permanently recorded as a truancy.
Think Before You Speak (or Post)
- RUHS has a zero tolerance policy for bullying.
- Bullying can occur in person, in writing, and online.
- Bullying may include slurs, jokes, threats, displays of bigotry, hate speech, etc.
- Any interaction that makes a student feel targeted and/or unsafe will be viewed as bullying.
- Cyber bullying will not be permitted regardless of when the incident takes place.
Think Before You Speak (or Post)
- Responsible use of technology and social media is key. Your social media presence will follow you.
- In recent news, online activity has led to college acceptance revocations, job loss, and at times criminal charges.
- Be conscientious about the content that is posted and shared – including pictures and videos.
- Students involved in extracurricular sports, clubs, etc. will lose privileges when found to engage in inappropriate social media usage.
Academic Honesty Pledge
Show Integrity; Do Your Personal Best
- RUHS values integrity and expects students to show integrity in their daily work, including homework, tests, essays, and class assignments.
- Students found in violation of this will face progressive consequences including a zero on the assignment and a lowered citizenship grade.
- Remember that integrity of work extends to online platforms as well. Be aware of when a Google doc/electronic assignment is collaborative and when it should be completed independently.
Be Respectful & Participatory
- All students are expected to participate in the learning environment in a way that shows respect to self, peers, teachers, and property. Student behaviors should allow learning to take place, and when a student’s behavior interferes with learning, consequences will be assigned by either the teacher and/or school administration.
Dress for Success
- Expectations for the RUHS dress code are in the student handbook.
- Students who are out of dress code will be asked to change and issued loaner clothing as needed.
- Multiple infractions will result in guardian notification and additional consequences.
Be Safe & Sober
- While under the jurisdiction of our school, students are not permitted to use, possess, be under the influence of, or distribute tobacco, drugs, or alcohol. This includes legal, illegal, prescription, and over the counter drugs.
- Students who require the use of prescription or over the counter drugs should check in with the health office.
- Students who are over the age of 18 are still required to adhere to these policies.
- Students who do not meet these expectations will receive consequences up to and including suspensions, conditional enrollment contracts, and expulsions.
Cellphone & Electronics Policy
Be Present; Focus on Your Learning
- Students are welcome to use their cell phones before and after school and during snack, lunch, and passing periods.
- All phones should be off and in the student’s locker or backpack.
- Teachers retain the right to ask students to turn their phones in to a secure location at the start of class.
- Blue tooth and external speakers are not permitted at RUHS at any time during the day. (NEW POLICY)
- Students who use these speakers or who use their cell phones during class time will have their devices confiscated for the remainder of the day.
Report Absence Online
Click on the link below to report an absence online. Please make sure all information is correct in the designated fields. Email verification will be made within 48 hours of submission.
Do not report a tardy or request for off-grounds online, it will NOT be accepted.