9th Grade Planning
CREATE A FOUR-YEAR HIGH SCHOOL PLAN
It's important to create a plan for your student that relates to his or her goals.
- Meet with your school counselor to make sure that your student is taking the classes that support his or her academic goals. Also, it's important to begin taking the right courses to be "college ready." We describe these courses as "A-G"; as a counseling team, we can help your student create an academic plan that will ensure that he or she will be enrolled in those classes that meet college entrance requirements. Your student's performance in those classes will determine his or her post-high-school options.
- In your student's academic plan, map out WHEN these "college ready" courses should be taken.
It may seem early to start getting ready for college, but it really isn't. There's much to do to help prepare for post-high-school opportunities, so it's important that you and your student begin planning now!
START THINKING ABOUT CAREERS
Encourage your student to to develop a tentative career goal. It will probably change, but at least he or she has something to work toward. Setting goals is a critical part of your student's success.
- Help your student to identify interests by encouraging him or her to talk with family members and other adults about their careers to get ideas about fields your student may want to pursue.
- At RUHS, your student will be taking a personality assessment on Naviance to help identify interests.
- Consider summer internships or enrichment programs as another means to identify interests, likes and dislikes. Experiences in the workplace can help your student assess strengths and weaknesses and even his or her learning style.
GET INVOLVED! EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES OR VOLUNTEERING
Students are encouraged to actively take part in a sport, school club, music or drama group or community volunteer activity.
SAVE FOR COLLEGE
If you haven't already, it's not too late to start a college savings plan. Every little bit will help! Talk to your financial advisor about a 529 Plan.